Friday, August 31, 2007

merdeka day

before composing this post i read what i blogged about last merdeka day. it is fun to see progress, change, growth. perhaps i'm achieving my own independence. today i feel good about myself, about my life. i've gone on at great lengths about merdeka over here so i shan't walk down that road again.
with one area of my life, a huge area really, one that i delineate much time and effort and energy and mostly heart to; things seems, heck, things are shaky and uncertain but perhaps (at least for now), i can be strong and have faith. i want to be... self-sufficient, in a way that no one can take away my sense of self, my sense of worth. i want to be able to face anything and still have myself intact. self. what a strange concept. someone wise once told me that in finding one's self, you would ultimately find that there is no crystallized self to be discovered.
i hate the feeling of thinking myself victimised, or oppressed. whatever choices, whatever life, i choose. chose. was chosen for. it is true, being overemotional does put one at a disadvantage. and oversentimental. and too romantic. oh give me sense, more sense and sensibility.
i have rekindled a friendship with an old classmate. isn't that nice? especially when even before it was a somewhat volatile friendship, to have suddenly each grown up to fit into each other's lives and be able to understand each other and be understood. this morning, we woke up early on our public holiday, went to the botanical gardens to walk, then pop over to the wet market to have breakfast and for me to do the marketing. she even helped me carry my fish and veg. thank God for friends. i had a great time and all before 10am. thanks dee.
went home, showered. cooked lunch for my family. ate said lunch. helped sarah plan her study timetable. (now this is one thing i have a knack for) she shared with me high school musical 2 tunes, and then begged me to let her give me a makeover. in other words, put make up on my face. then i did hers. and we took pictures. i am glad for spending time together without her getting hostile. so that's what this 14 year old is into now. make up. hmm. sigh. growing up too fast.
there is still light left in the day and i'm going to help dad scrub down garden urns while he and bro plant trees into our barren garden. the day is turning out deliciously. though i fear tomorrow. and what it may or may not bring. and how i should or can react. and whether hearts will be broken, and if so, whose?
but for now i will give thanks for this day. for independence. for peace. for my nation. for my family. for friends. for my hair that now takes me only 1 minute to do every morning;). and for everything my God has brought me through and will...

No comments: